Monday, August 27, 2007

A Prayer for Our Enemies (by Fenton Johnson)

ALMIGHTY FATHER I am praying for my enemies!

Almighty father lift up my enemies.
Almighty father be as a honeycomb to my enemies.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the moon to the young lovers
in the June of life.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the voice of Gabriel laughing
in the Heavens.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the smiling face of God.
ALMIGHTY FATHER be to my enemies as the Song of Israel when
the hosts assembled for the evening.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the breath of the Holy One.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the Day is to the soul of
the wayward child.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the Light is in the night of despair.
Almighty father be to my enemies as the love of a Christian for
the Church of God.
Almighty father deal with the white South as I would have you
deal those who hate me for they know not what they do.

copied from ChickenBones: A Journal

No comments: